Maker Pro
Maker Pro

1960? B.C. (before cassettes)...

Hi.
Saw yesterday on an old television program, a short-lived audio tape recorder format NOT open reel-to-reel, NOT '8-track' type of recorder and tape cartridge, before the 'compact cassette' by Philips. Was not a wire reel either.
May have been a Hollywood trick of the era, but I do faintly remember seeing such before.

Does it have a name ? Was it just 'cassette' without the 'compact' ? Just curious.

Google lists Wikipedia and others with history of the compact tape cassette and the competitors Telefunken and Grundig. I think there was also a Japanese one or two. Philips won.
I worked in a Philips car radio factory when they developed their tape cassette player that replaced an 8-track tape player and their cassette soon became a hifi recorder/player. In the factory I also saw my first LED. The factory also made simple audio items and color TVs and I bought my first one that I souped up over many years.

Thanks.
Took some effort but captured images, at time stamp ~33:28 on
---->

Screenshot from 2018-09-28 10-32-18.png Screenshot from 2018-09-28 10-35-36.png

Shows an indentation for pinch roller ?

Last edited:
The first computer I worked with used punched cards for the program and tiny ferrite cores on a matrix of wires for RAM.
Its logic ICs were RTL and DTL. I think it was in 1968.