Maker Pro
Maker Pro

10X Multiplier-Prescaler for Frequencies Above 3GHz

Does anyone know where I can purchase a 10X multiplier-prescaler for my R&S 3GHz spectrum analyzer? This is not for accurate quantitative readings but rather as a simple detector of the presence of RF signals up to 30GHz. I am hoping to spend less than $500. Maybe that puts it in the "kit" category. The only ones I have found so far in this frequency range, including circuit diagrams online, are dividers not multipliers. Thanks for any suggestions.

Harald Kapp

The only ones I have found so far in this frequency range, including circuit diagrams online, are dividers not multipliers.
A divider is what you need when your analyzer has an input range of up to 3 GHz but you want to detect up to 30 GHz.
Why would you ask for a multiplier? Multiplying your 30 GHz signal will increase the frequency, putting it even more outside the operating range of the analyzer.

Yes, my terminology was incorrect. What I meant was a prescaler that would make 30GHz appear as if 3GHz to the spectrum analyzer's input stage. So a divider for the signal that would effectively multiply the range of the SA analyzer by 10.

Harald Kapp

What would be my chances of winging it with the chip alone ($17) wired up in a shielded box?
Most likely nil.

At these frequencies you need careful layout, observing impedances of the traces, trace lengths to match phase shifts etc. Your best chance is to use the eval board and put it in a shielded box.

what is the envisioned usage of the differential (anti-phase) inputs and outputs?
Differential signals are much less sensitive to common mode noise, thus sensitivity of a circuit can be increased without increasing sensitivity to common mode noise.

Harald Kapp

The website has the design files for download. So you could have the pcb made for you by a chap chinese pcb factory. Then solder the chip + auxiliary components on top and get away with much less than 250 $ for the complete kit.